|Admin History||The University College of Nottingham was established by the Nottingham Corporation in 1881. New buildings were erected in Shakespeare Street to house the College together with the town's free library and museum. |
From its inception the College was governed by the Nottingham Corporation. A management committee was established which was made up almost wholly of town councillors and those people nominated by the council. The College was managed jointly with the town's free library and as such the committee's minutes contain material relating to both institutions. The incorporation of the College in 1903 resulted in the establishment of a new governing body, the College Council. A Court of Governors was also created. Although in theory these new bodies were supposed to make the College more independent in practice very little change occured, with the overlap between the Corporation and the College's Court of Governors and College Council being almost complete.
Academic staff had little influence in the governance of the College. A Board of Professors was established in 1887 to oversee the educational work of the College. This Board was subordinate to the College's management committee. Following the College's incorporation in 1903 the Board of Professors was disbanded and replaced with a Senate. Again this body was subordinate to the Nottingham Corporation (in the guise of the College Council).