|Content Description||Conveyance, dated 29 Jan. 1839.|
First Party: Commissioners of Her Majesty's Woods, Forests, Land Revenues, Works and Buildings.
Second Party: Henry Pelham, [4th] Duke of Newcastle [under Lyne].
Conveyance from (1) to (2) of Castle Wharf, Newark, together with a toll house and garden; also of a parcel of ground near Markham Bridge with the old toll house; also of the manor of Newark with all rights, quit rents, rents of assize, free rents and other rents, together with the profits of two fairs and the profits of all other fairs and markets, and the fishing rights of the manor; reserves to the Crown all tolls payable at Trent Bridge and Markham Bridge or at any other crossing over the Rivers Trent and Devon; also reserves all chief rents payable for Farndon, Balderton, Coddington, Winthorpe and Moorland; also reserves the advowson of Newark and the site of the castle; also reserves Contham Farm and Thousand Acres Farm in Balderton.
Includes a covenant to remove buildings standing on the wharf ground and to stop up a door into the castle.
Includes a plan of the wharf area fronting the River Trent.
Bundle also contains related documentation as follows: (i) Printed 'Specifications of an Important Freehold Property Belonging to His Majesty ... Comprising the Valuable Manor of Newark'; notes that the manor contains around 800 acres; divides the manor and other property into a total of 212 lots, and for each lot provides its number on an associated plan, a description or name of the property concerned, the name of the occupier, the state of cultivation, its area in acres, roods and perches, and any remarks [note that lots consisting solely of buildings have a prose description]; sale to be handled by Messrs. Driver and to be held over four days, beginning 11 Oct. 1836; includes the conditions of sale and two plans of the property with lots marked in pink.
(ii) Printed 'Specifications of a Valuable Freehold Property Belonging to Her Majesty ... Comprising the Manor of Newark ... Likewise Sundry Dwelling Houses, Buildings, Warehouses and Premises, and a Capital Wharf Called the Castle Wharf at Newark'; divides the manor and other property into a total of seven lots; includes a description of each with names of occupants provided; includes a terrier of the manor of Newark, setting out the names of tenants, a description of the premises out of which chief rents are payable, and the annual rent; sale to be handled by Messrs. Driver on 21 Sep. 1837; includes the conditions of sale and a plan of the property concerned.