|Content Description||First Party: Henry P.A.D. [Pelham-Clinton] 7th Duke of Newcastle [under Lyne].|
Second Party: Peter Newton, contractor, of Carlton Road, Worksop; and John Plowright Houfton.
Lease from (1) to (2) of all beds of sand up to a depth of 50 feet from the surface, lying beneath a piece of land in Worksop measuring 9 acres 1 rood and 21 perches [edged red on attached plan]; includes the right to enter property edged pink and blue on plan for the purpose of laying tramways, railways or other roadways as necessary; also includes the right to make quarries, and the right to erect machinery or buildings for this purpose.
States that approval for works on approx. half an acre of the property is still pending, and until then the sand lying beneath this portion of the property is reserved to (1).
Also reserves any sand required for supporting boundary fencing.
To be held for a term of 21 years from 30 Jun. 1909.
Subject to a mining lease with the Wigan Coal and Iron Company dated 30 Oct. 1896, and varied by indenture dated 10 Dec. 1906.
Rent: £100 per annum; also £2 per annum payable for the area taken for the construction of the railway siding [edged blue on plan]; also £1 per annum for use of an occupation road leading from East Gate; also one tenth of a penny per cubic foot for any buildings erected on the property.
Royalty: 3 pence per ton of saleable sand.
Contains various covenants.
Includes plan with the property in question edged pink; the portion of land subject to the construction of a siding is eged pink and blue; the right of way along an occupation road leading from East Gate is coloured brown; plans also shows Worksop Union Workhouse and the allotment gardens.
Ne 6 D 2/48/283/2: Counterpart lease.
Ne 6 D 2/48/283/3: Assignment of the above lease from P.H. Newton and M.B. Newton to Jas Turner & Son Limited, dated 30 Aug. 1919, and subsequent surrender dated 2 May 1924.
Ne 6 D 2/48/283/4-5: Correspondence from George H.M. Turner of James Turner & Son Limited to Arthur E. Elliott concerning the lease of the property, dated 17 and 22 Sep. 1920.
Note that the principle deed endorsed on the outside of the bundle, a counterpart lease from the duke to Jas Turner & Son dated 3 May 1924, is not present.