|Content Description||First Party: Henry P.A.D. [Pelham-Clinton, 7th] Duke of Newcastle [under Lyne].|
Second Party: John William Scott esquire of Delgany, Co. Wicklow, Ireland; and Lord Edward William Pelham-Clinton [as Mortgagees of the 7th Duke of Newcastle].
Third Party: Rev. Nathaniel Woodard, Provost of the Society of St Nicholas College, Lancing, Sussex and Cannon of the Cathedral Church of Manchester.
Fourth Party: Robert Arthur Talbot [Gascoyne-Cecil, 3rd] Marquis of Salisbury; John Gellibrand [Hubbard, 1st] Baron Addington; and Sir Thomas Percival Heywood, [2nd Baronet Heywood] of Dove Leys in the parish of Rocester, Staffordshire [as Trustees of the Society of St Mary and St Nicholas College].
Conveyance by way of gift from (1) and (2) to (3) and (4) of seven parcels of land at Sparkin [Sparken] Hill, Worksop, measuring 92 acres, 1 rood and 20 perches in total [as specified in appended schedule and shown on plan]; which property was lately in the occupation of Joseph Garside esquire; for the purpose of building a school for the Society of St Mary and St Nicholas College.
Discharges (4) from mortgage debt of £100,000 and any other demands under mortgages dated 11 Jun. 1839, 3 Sep. 1869, and 24 Oct. 1888 [see recitals below].
Contains various provisos concerning sub-letting or selling off the property; provisos concerning the appointment of new trustees.
Contains covenants by (4): To erect and maintain boundary fencing; not to bury any bricks or tiles on the property; not to use any machinery other than that required for the school; not to do anything which may cause a nuisance.
(1) indemnifies (4) from an annual rent charge of £600 payable to Lord Edward William Pelham-Clinton; (1) acknowledges (4)'s right to the production of title deeds.
Recitals: (a) fact that the Society of St Mary and St Nicholas College was formed 1858 for the education of the Middle Classes; (b) fact that the society provides 3 grades of education; (c) fact that the society may make connection with other schools of the same classes; (d) fact that (3) is Provost of the society; (e) fact that certain property has been acquired by the society and is vested in Trustees; (f) fact that all funds of the society are contained in a common fund; (g) fact the property conveyed will go towards education purposes; (h) fact that the society has rules and constitutions [not specified]; (i) fact that (1) would like the society to build and run a school in Worksop to be called the St Cuthbert College; (j) fact that the society agrees to this; (k) fact that (1) would like to gift the property in question to the society; (m) recites settlements dated 29 Sep. 1885 and 17 Jun. 1885; (n) fact that the property in question formed part of the settled estates; (o) fact that the property in question is subject to mortgages dated dated 11 Jun. 1839 and 3 Sep. 1867; (p) fact that the mortgage debt was reduced by indenture dated 24 Oct. 1888; (q) fact that all other debts relating to the property have been paid off; (r) fact that (1) and (2) relase the property from the mortgage debt; (s) fact that (1) and (2) have indemnified (4) from a rent charge of £600 per year.
Includes a plan with the property in question shaded pink; property is bounded by the Old Coach Road on the northern side.
Ne 6 D 2/48/120/2: Note concerning a later [re-]conveyance of the minerals underlying St Cuthberts College lands, dated 30 Oct. 1896 [see Ne 6 D 2/48/146].
See supplemental agreement dated 11 May 1918 [Ne 6 D 2/48/260] and conveyance dated 9 Jul. 1918 [Ne 6 D 2/48/261].