|Content Description||First Party: Henry Pelham Archibald Douglas [Pelham-Clinton, 7th] Duke of Newcastle under Lyne.|
Second Party: Arnold Gamble esq. of Gamston Manor Farm, Gamston, Nottinghamshire.
Lease from (1) to (2) for 10 years of the messuage, farm buildings, cottages, lands, and premises known as Gamston Manor Farm situated in the parish of Gamston, measuring 67 acres 2 roods 27 perches [as shown on attached plan], which are now in the occupation of (2) [full description of property given in an appended schedule]; together with the right to shoot and to course hares and rabbits upon the premises; the right to hunt foxes and hares with hounds is reserved to (1); all minerals reserved to (1) including the right to access the land and to use the surface of the land, except that which is pink outlined green on the attached plan, in order to work and carry away the minerals, and the right to erect watercourses, railways, etc, in order to more conveniently work and carry them away; that (1) has no obligation to leave any support for the surface of the land provided that adequate compensation be paid by (1) to (2) for damage caused by working the minerals, the compensation is to be decided by arbitration; the lease is subject to an agreement dated 13 Oct 1896 between (1) and the Wigan Coal and Iron Company Limited, to not use their surface rights or to work the minerals at a depth of less than 50 yards of the surface during term of the present demise [lease].
(2) covenants to pay the rent and all rates, taxes, duties, assessments, etc, except the landlords Property tax and Land tax; to finish all alterations and improvements to the property by 25 Mar. 1908 at a cost of not less than £1000, and to maintain the property for the rest of the term and at the end of the term of the lease to leave the premises and all fixtures; to allow (1) to inspect the premises; to make all repairs within 3 months; and to abide by all the terms in the attached agreement including the condition that (2) may underlet or give up possession of the property to a respectable and responsible tenant; to insure the premises, and should the premises be rendered unfit for inhabitation by fire or flood, etc, part of the rent will be suspended for 4 months or until the buildings are repaired.
Subject to the agreement that (1) is may resume possession of any part of the premises during the term apart from the land which is pink edged green on the attached plan, for building or other estate improvements, the working or sale of the minerals, or for giving effect to the rights granted to the Wigan Coal and Iron Company Limited under their lease [see above].
That (2) coventants to pay £350 towards the cost of the alterations [see above]; (1) covenants that (2) can hold the premises without interuption by (1) for the full term so long as he abides by the terms and conditions; that (2) has the power to determine lease at the end of the first 10 or 15 years.
Rent: £125 in quarterly payments.
Recitals: (a) fact that the (2) is already in possession of the premises under a lease expiring Mar. 1908 [see Ne 6 D 2/22/1] and is about to make extensive alterations, additions and improvements to the premises, because of this (1) has agreed to extend the lease for a further term.
Includes a plan with the property in question coloured pink, with the Manor House and cottage and nearby grounds bordered in green; also marked with the Great North Road from Tuxford to Retford, Gamston Covert, allotment gardens, and the River Idle; the plan is drawn to a scale of 6 inches to 1 mile and a compass showing north.
A printed form of the agreement of the lease is attached to the lease itself; contains 19 terms and conditions.