|Content Description||First Party: Henry Pelham Archibald Douglas [Pelham-Clinton], 7th Duke of Newcastle under Lyne.|
Second Party: Abel John Ram of the City of London, one of his Majesty's Counsel, and Charles Robert French esq. of Evelyn Gardens, London, as mortgagees under an indenture dated 9 Feb 1907 [being a transfer of a mortgage dated 3 Jun. 1896].
Third Party: The Wigan Coal and Iron Company Limited, registered at Kirkless, Lancashire, lessees of the minerals underlying the property and of certain surface rights, for a term of 99 years from Mar. 1896.
Fourth Party: The person or persons or Corporation in whom the Churchyard or burial place known as the Churchyard of Gamston is now vested [not named].
Surrender by (1), (2) and (3) of a piece of land at Gamston on the west side of the churchyard of St Peter's Church, measuring 1 rood [as shown on an attached plan] and extending to a depth of 50 yards from the surface; reserves to (1) and (3) all minerals lying beneath a depth of 50 yards from the surface by underground workings only and without entering upon or exercising and rights over the surface of the land; (1) and (2) shall not be liable for any subsidence damage, etc, to the surface of the land or any building upon it for the time being; the land concerned is to be held for ever as part of the churchyard or burial place and is freed from all claims and demands; states that (3) is not entitled to any abatement of rent or royalties due to the surrender of the land, and all other conditions of (3)'s lease remain.
Includes a plan of the area around St Peter's Church in Gamston with the boudaries of the property in question in blue and the church coloured pink; also shows a school and the Great North Road; the plan is drawn to a scale of 104 feet to 1 inch, and there is a compass showing north.