|Admin History||The Northern Water Works Company was set up on 1st December, 1824, as a rival to the (Old) Nottingham Water Works Company. The works were situated at the top Sherwood Street, near Gregory's Place and the Jews' Burial Ground. The Company pumped water (by means of a steam engine made at the Butterley Ironworks) from a well, fed by a deep spring, into a large cistern and which supplied the North Eastern portion of the Town, also a small cistern in York Street, from which the water carriers took their suppliers. Much of the piping laid by this company in Mansfield Road, from the junction with Chatham Street, to York Street, is still in use. Mr. James Sharpe was the first Chairman, and Mr. Samuel Jones, Secretary. Mr. James Slark and was the Engineer, and his duties at a later date included the collection of water rents. Meetings were held at various public houses in the town. A rivalry existed between the company and the Old Nottingham Water Works Company and the newly formed Trent Water Works Company. The three companies were amalgamated in 1845 by an Act of Parliament and the Nottingham Waterworks Company was established. |
|Custodial History||The volume was acquired in September 2010.|
|Description||Volume marked as 'Northern Waterworks Company Minute Book No. 2 1827-1845'. The volume appears to have been rebound at a later date.|
Volume commences with list of subscribers; minutes of committee meetings and general half yearly meeting 20 Feb. 1827-19 Jan. 1846. Topics of meetings mainly relate to individuals wanting access to water supplies for properties; repayment of loans by company; laying of pipes on streets in Nottingham; erection of houses on Mansfield Road; complaints by tenants from 1831 due to lower prices offered by Trent Water Works Company; proposal of sale to Trent Water Works Co. in 1844; copy of letter from William Curshaw, secretary to Trent Water Works Company to Mr Chetham, Secretary of Northern Water Works Co. asking for their engineers to be permitted to inspect property belonging to the Northern Water Works Company in advance of any sale, 27 Jan. 1844; discussions relating to bill in parliament for uniting of Trent Waterworks Company with Nottingham Old Water Works Company; proposition of sale of Northern Water Works Company to Trent Water Works Company at a valuation by Thomas Hawkesley, 19 Mar. 1845; second list of subscribers at rear of volume.
Includes loose letter from Thomas North, Nottingham to Mr Chetham, Secretary of Nottingham New Water Work Co. relating to sale of one of his shares to David Whitehead; 13 Jul. 1833.
Note that volume 1 of the Northern Waterworks minutes (1824-1827) is to be found within the records of Papplewick Pumping Station (reference: PPS/27).