|Content Description||The Day Training College at University College, Nottingham (now The University of Nottingham), was established in 1890 to train elementary teachers. Evening classes providing teacher training started in 1885, and in 1887 the Board of Education in London was approached about using the college officially for the training of teachers. A royal commission on elementary education which reported in 1888 favoured the idea of sending students who were intending to become teachers to be trained at university institutions. Nottingham's Day Training College was among the first five to be accepted by the Board. It began in 1890 with 30 students under Mr Amos Henderson, who later became the college's first professor of education, By 1911, 152 students were in training. The writer, D.H. Lawrence was a student at the college from 1906 to 1908.|
The Day Training College was known as the Elementary Training Department. The two year training course offered by the college was stopped in 1934 for women and in 1937 for men. It was replaced by a four year course comprising a three year degree and one year postgraduate teacher training. The college itself was replaced by a Department of Education which in turn merged with the Institute of Education to form the School of Education in 1970.