|Title||Records of the Nottingham and District Health Fund and its predecessors the Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Hospital Saturday Fund, and the Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Hospital Saturday Contributory Fund; 1899-1948|
|Abstract||Principal document types present include; account and minute books, newpaper cuttings|
|Access Conditions||Accessible to all readers.|
|Admin History||The Nottingham and District Health Fund had its origins in the Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Hospital Saturday Fund, begun at the instigation of the Reverend Canon Francis Morse of St Mary's, Nottingham in 1873. The purpose was to raise subscriptions on a voluntary basis, particularly from local firms, which would then be given to various local medical charities, among them the General Hospital, the Children's Hospital, the Women's Hospital, the General Dispensary, Eye Infirmary and the Samaritan Hospital.|
The Fund's Committee met at the Old Exchange by invitation of the Mayor, who was patron for his year in office. The collections were brought into Nottingham each Saturday, totalling £720,000 between 1873 and 1938. By 1938 there were 1700 local firms participating in the scheme.
In 1938 the Fund became the Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Hospital Saturday Contributory Fund. Contributors could obtain free medical aid at the hospitals that were included in the scheme. By 1947 the number of contributors had risen to 137,387, a significant proportion of Nottingham's population. It took the name of the Nottingham and District Health Fund in 1948 following the National Insurance Act and the formation of the National Health Service.
|Custodial History||The records came to Nottingham University Library from the Trustees of the Fund in 1978.|
|Description||The records cover the period 1899-1948 and comprise financial documents, including a list of contributors (1930-1936), minutes of various committees (1899-1948) and newspaper cuttings (1923-1925).|
|Arrangement||The records are arranged according to type: Accounts, Minutes, Newpaper Cuttings.|
|Term||Charities, Medical - England - Nottinghamshire - Nottingham|
|Medical care - England - Nottinghamshire - Nottingham|
|FindingAids||Copyright in all Finding Aids belongs to the University of Nottingham.
In the Reading Room, King's Meadow Campus:
Typescript Catalogue, 6 pp
At the National Register of Archives, The National Archives, Kew:
Typescript Catalogue, 3 pp [Please note that the catalogue at King's Meadow Campus, and the online version on the Manuscripts Online Catalogue, is more up to date]
Online: Available on the Manuscripts Online Catalogue, accessible from the website of Manuscripts and Special Collections|
|Copyright||Identification of copyright holders of unpublished material is often difficult. Permission to make any published use of any material from the collection must be sought in advance in writing from the Keeper of Manuscripts and Special Collections (email firstname.lastname@example.org).|
|ReprodnNote||Photocopies and photographic copies can be supplied for educational use and private study purposes only, depending on the condition of the documents.|
|Related Material||Other Nottingham hospital collections held at The University of Nottingham (references Uh, Uhc, Uhe, Uhf, Ugh, Uhh, Uhne, Uht and Uhw)|
|Publication Note||Teeboon, A. (1980). The Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Hospital Saturday Fund, 1873-1948. Transactions of the Thoroton Society, 84, 68-72 [King's Meadow Campus East Midlands Collection Periodicals:Not]|
Teeboon, A. (1979). The History of Three Nottingham Welfare Schemes. I, The Nottingham and Notts Hospital Saturday Fund; II, The Nottingham and Notts Hospital Saturday Contributory Fund; III, The Nottingham and District Health Fund. Nottingham: The Health Fund. [King's Meadow Campus East Midlands Collection Not 3.L12 TEE]