|Admin History||The weather station was maintained by Nottingham University Geography Department. Comprehensive recordings of rainfall, sunshine and temperature (and later also windspeed) were began in 1962, led by lecturer Frank Barnes (1920-2003). Barnes had been a meteorological officer in the RAF during the Second World War, and brought this enthusiasm to the School of Geography, which he joined in 1947.|
A team of staff and postgraduate students took the readings and reset the monitoring equipment at 0900 GMT, seven days a week. The details were transcribed into a daily meteorological record, and from this monthly and annual summaries were produced. The monthly summaries were published for a time in the Nottingham Evening Post. The weather station was closed in 1981.
Station ref. 542384. 174 ft. O.D. Readings ceased to be taken after 24 December 1981.
|Custodial History||The records were transferred to Manuscripts and Special Collections in 1984, with a further accrual in 1997.|