|Admin History||Nottingham General Hospital was founded as a charitable institution by public subscription in 1782. At the formation of the National Health Service in 1948 and the take over of the hospital by the Sheffield Regional Board, the hospital comprised 423 beds and 114 at the Cedars. Following the opening of the University Hospital, the Queen's Medical Centre, in 1977, many services were transferred there from the General. The reduction of services continued throughout the 1980s and in 1992 the General Hospital finally, closed, with its functions moving either to the University Hospital or to the City Hospital.|
According to the donor, the GHN Nurses hockey team was established in 1942 by Joan Hopewell, née Gilbert, and Mary Stone, who had entered the January 1942 School of Nursing. The team was encouraged and supported by the Matron Miss Plucknett, who allowed them to take Saturday afternoons off duty for matches. They played against other local teams. Their strip was grey shorts, white blouses and a red and green belt. Joan and Mary also played for Nottingham County 2nd XI hockey team. They left the Nurses team in 1946, after which it folded.
|Custodial History||The photograph was donated to the Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections in 1992 by Mary Stone.|
|Description||The collection contains one modern print of a black and white snapshot photograph of the hockey team, taken on a hockey pitch. The players have been identified as follows: |
Back row: Sister Richardson; Joan Hopewell, née Gilbert; Joan Lovett, née Selby; Mary Stone
Middle Row: Pat Spencer, née Briggs; Joyce Powell, née Farrow; Nurse Farnsworth
Front Row: Mary Stoneley, née Tompkins; Alice Cresswell, née Anderson; Kathleen Selby
Dimensions: 10 x 15 cm