|Document Reference||MS 64|
|Title||Copy of the enclosure award for Lenton and Radford, Nottinghamshire, c.1768|
|Extent||1 volume, 75 ff|
|Abstract||Contemporary copy of the 1767 enclosure act, 1768 enclosure award and 'book of quality' for Lenton and Radford in Nottinghamshire.|
|Access Conditions||Accessible to all readers.|
|Admin History||Lenton and Radford, formerly villages in Nottinghamshire and now suburbs of Nottingham, were enclosed by Act of Parliament in 1768.|
|Custodial History||The volume was acquired by the library of the University of Nottingham in 1951.|
|Description||The collection contains one vellum-bound volume entitled 'A Copy of Lenton Award: The Original Award in the Chest of Lenton Church'.|
The volume contains 7 manuscript pages headed 'Lenton and Radford Book of Quality' (at the front and continued at the back of the volume). This gives summary details of the value of surveyed land and commons owned by the following landowners, and the acreage of land of equal value allotted to them in the enclosure of the open fields: Messrs Attenborough and Leeson; William Bingham; Messrs Brentnall and Garland; Mr John Bradshaw; Mr William Elliott; George de Ligne Gregory esquire; Mrs Gregory; Mrs Gregory and Degg's heirs; Mr Walter Hornbuckle; William Hall; Elizabeth Holmes; the Rt Hon. Lord Middleton; Edward Merriman; John Plumtree esquire; the trustees of Radford Town Land; John Roughton; Gervase Roughton; Sir George Smith, baronet; Mr Joseph Stubbins; John Sherwin esquire; John Smith, gent.; Mary Smith; Michael Strey; Thomas Thoroton esquire; Thomas Townsend; James Thaine; William Wylde; the Rev. Mr Wayte, vicar of Radford; the Vicar of Lenton; Edward Willoughby esquire; and John Webb esquire.
The volume also contains a printed copy of the Lenton and Radford enclosure act of 1767 ('An Act for Dividing and Inclosing the Open Fields, Meadows, Common Pastures, and Commonable Lands, lying South of the Turnpike Road leading from Nottingham to Alfreton, within the Liberties and Townships of Lenton and Radford, in the County of Nottingham'); a manuscript copy of the Lenton and Radford enclosure award of 1768 giving details and boundaries of the land allotted to each of the above landowners; and a manuscript index to the award.
The volume is undated but the handwriting of the manuscript parts of the volume suggests a contemporary date to the enclosure.
|MgtGroup||Genealogical and local history|
|Arrangement||No archival arrangement has been necessary.|
|Term||Inclosures - Nottinghamshire - Nottingham - Radford|
|Inclosures - Nottinghamshire - Nottingham - Lenton|
|FindingAids||This description is the only finding aid available for the collection. Copyright on the description belongs to the University of Nottingham.|
|Copyright||Identification of copyright holders of unpublished material is often difficult. Permission to make any published use of any material from the collection must be sought in advance in writing from the Keeper of Manuscripts and Special Collections (email firstname.lastname@example.org).|
|ReprodnNote||Reprographic copies can be supplied for educational use and private study purposes only, depending on access status and the condition of the documents.|
|Condition||Backboard loose from rest of volume|
|Related Material||The official enrolled enclosure award is now held at Nottinghamshire Archives|
Click the links below to view related place indexes