|Admin History||Nottingham Children's Hospital was founded as a charitable institution in 1869 by public subscription, with the aim of providing 'for the reception, maintenance and medical treatment of children of the poor under ten years of age'. Its official title was the Free Hospital for Sick Children but it was also known as 'St Lucy's', as the first nursing staff were recruited from the Sisters of St Lucy. Its first home was Russell House, Postern Street, Nottingham, a property presented by the daughter of the architect, T.C. Hine.|
Despite the additions of a new wing and an isolation block, the property was soon found to be inadequate and, in 1899, the hospital moved to Forest House, Chestnut Grove, off Mansfield Road, to accommodation given by the lace manufacturer, Thomas Birkin. A new wing was opened by H.R.H. Princess Mary, Viscountess Lascelles, in 1927. In 1978, the Children's Hospital closed and its occupants became the first in-patients of University Hospital, Queen's Medical Centre. The premises occupied by the Children's Hospital became the headquarters of Nottingham Health Authority.
A copy of the history of the hospital by Lucia Crothall, Let's begin with the Children, (1978) can be found at Uhc/Pr 20.
|Custodial History||The album was acquired by the Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections in 1990.|
|Description||The album appears to be a commemorative publication rather than a personal record of the opening of the new wing. It is bound, with 'Nottingham Children's Hospital' appearing in embossed print on the front cover. The title page inside, giving the date of the official opening, is also printed.|
Inside are twelve black and white photographs stuck onto separate thick card pages. None of the photographs are labelled and there is no indication of who took or published them. They show:
1. H.R.H. Princess Mary in a ward, with a nurse and an infant in a cot holding a doll
2. Main entrance and exterior view of new wing
3. Ward with beds and nurses
5. Road outside hospital
6. Five beds and patients, with nurses, outside in a semi-circular area
7. Four ladies playing tennis on an outside court
9. Operating theatre with patient, four medical staff, and equipment
10. Eight beds and patients, with nurses, outside on a roof terrace
11. External view of new wing
12. Ward with beds, nurses and Matron