|Document Reference||MS 428|
|Title||Records and Correspondence of A. Ransome and Company Limited, Saw Mill Engineers and Iron Founders, Newark, Nottinghamshire, 1855-1931|
|Extent||38 boxes and 6 volumes|
|Abstract||Principal document types present include; day books, journals, goods delivery books, correspondence, invoices.|
|Access Conditions||The bulk of the collection is accessible to all readers with advanced notice. However, access may be restricted to individual documents because of their damaged or fragile condition. Please contact us to make an appointment to see this collection.|
|Admin History||A. Ransome & Co. was established in Chelsea, London, in 1868. Its partners were Allan Ransome and Frederic Josselyn. A foundry was subsequently acquired in Battersea and was run, with Vincent Sydney Woods as an additional partner, as Ransome, Josselyn and Woods.|
In 1893 the two businesses were amalgamated and became A. Ransome and Co. Ltd. In 1900 the Company, including the foundry, moved to Newark. A London office was maintained at Chancery Lane.
Shortly before the Second World War, A. Ransome and Co. Ltd, Newark, were taken over by the woodworking firm of John Pickles and Son of Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire. That firm itself closed down in 1971 and its former premises at Mytholm Works, King Street, Hebden Bridge were acquired by the firm Fred Brown Engineering in the 1970s.
|Custodial History||The records of Pickles and Son were preserved in private hands, but the archives of A. Ransome and Co. Ltd (apparently transferred in their entirety from Newark to Hebden Bridge) were found in an old disused mill attached to the works. The West Yorkshire Archive office arranged for their transfer to Nottingham University Library, as they were entirely concerned with the firm's history on the Newark, Nottinghamshire site.|
|Description||The collection represents the results of a rescue of surviving papers for the firm, and is lacking many of the core business records, including minute books and most series of accounts. It reflects a sampling of a large mass of disordered papers and correspondence. That which remains is mainly from the years 1912-1930, although some late 19th-century ledgers have survived. A large quantity of customer correspondence has survived and shows the company's involvement in engineering works throughout the world, particularly in the field of railway development in South America, the far East and eastern Europe.|
|Arrangement||Material has been arranged according to form (invoices, purchase ledgers etc) and listed chronologically within these sections.|
|Term||Iron industry and trade - Great Britain|
|Woodworking industries - Great Britain|
|Industries - England - Nottinghamshire - Newark|
|FindingAids||Copyright in all Finding Aids belongs to the University of Nottingham.
In the Reading Room, King's Meadow Campus: Typescript Catalogue, 12 pp
At the National Register of Archives, The National Archives, Kew: Typescript Catalogue, 12 pp
Catalogue available through the website of Manuscripts and Special Collections, Manuscripts Online Catalogue.
Access to the old typescript catalogue was also made available online during the national Access to Archives (A2A) project in 2000-2004. This catalogue is now available through Discovery, hosted by The National Archives (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk). The version on our own Manuscripts Online Catalogue will be more up to date.|
|Copyright||Identification of copyright holders of unpublished material is often difficult. Permission to make any published use of any material from the collection must be sought in advance in writing from the Keeper of Manuscripts and Special Collections (email email@example.com).|
|ReprodnNote||Photocopies and photographic copies can be supplied for educational use and private study purposes only, depending on the condition of the documents.|