|Admin History||Nottingham General Hospital was founded as a charitable institution by public subscription in 1782. The Hospital was governed by a Monthly Board, led in the 1940s by the Chairman, Sir Louis Pearson. In 1940, there were 29 consultants, physicians, surgeons and other senior medical staff, and one Matron. At the formation of the National Health Service in 1948 and the take over of the hospital by the Sheffield Regional Board, the hospital comprised 423 beds and 114 at the Cedars convalescent hospital. Following the opening of the University Hospital, the Queen's Medical Centre, in 1977, many services were transferred there from the General. The reduction of services continued throughout the 1980s and in 1992 the General Hospital finally closed, with its functions moving either to the University Hospital or to the City Hospital.|
Little is known about Miss Schofield beyond what can be ascertained from the contents of this collection. She began working at the General Hospital as a junior clerk in 1926. In the late 1940s she moved to the X-Ray Department and was responsible for maintaining their records.
|Custodial History||The collection was given to the Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections, The University of Nottingham in 1993.|
|Description||The collection consists of two items.|
Five pages of handwritten notes by Miss Schofield, mounted on card, giving a brief account of the administration and staffing at Nottingham General Hospital from the time she began working there as a junior clerk in 1926, until the years after the N.H.S. was founded. Includes notes on the Egg Week effort in which thousands of eggs were received from donors and pickled for use over the following months, and the similar Potato, Fruit and Vegetable Effort; and notes on how the hospital received convoys of injured soldiers during the Second World War. Undated, but probably written around the time the collection was donated, in 1993 (MS 377/1);
Circular letter from Henry M. Stanley, House Governor and Secretary, to members of staff at Nottingham General Hospital, dated 4 Aug. 1944, incorporating a copy letter from Harry Willick, Minister of Health, expressing his praise and gratitude for the efficiency of hospitals and casualty services in the Emergency Scheme (MS 377/2).