|Admin History||Nottingham General Hospital was founded as a charitable institution by public subscription in 1782. At the formation of the National Health Service in 1948 and the take over of the hospital by the Sheffield Regional Board, the hospital comprised 423 beds and 114 at the Cedars. Following the opening of the University Hospital, the Queen's Medical Centre, in 1977, many services were transferred there from the General. The reduction of services continued throughout the 1980s and in 1992 the General Hospital finally, closed, with its functions moving either to the University Hospital or to the City Hospital.|
The hospital was the centre for nursing training in Nottingham. A new Nurses Home was built as a memorial to the war dead of Nottingham and Nottinghamshire and opened by the Prince of Wales in 1923.
|Custodial History||The collection was given to the Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections, The University of Nottingham, by a private individual in 1996.|
|Description||The collection consists of a series of black and white snapshot photographs, most labelled on the back. The collection includes:|
A group photograph of student nurses, labelled 'The School! With Tutor Sisters. March 1931' (MS 373/1); and a series of further group photographs of student nurses and Tutor Sisters outside the Nurses' Home, 1932 (MS 373/2-7);
A photograph of the Nurses Home from the main hospital building, 1933 (MS 373/8);
A series of photographs of nurses and child patients in Mabel Player Ward and the attached Sun Room, 1935 (MS 373/9-18);
A photograph labelled 'Haven of Peace - Nurses Home Garden, GHN, 1935' (MS 373/19);
A photograph of Wollaton Hall, 1935 (MS 373/20);
A photograph of the Council House, Nottingham, with people sitting on benches in the centre of the Market Square in front of it, 1935 (MS 373/21).