|Admin History||Nottingham General Hospital was founded as a charitable institution by public subscription in 1782. At the formation of the National Health Service in 1948 and the take over of the hospital by the Sheffield Regional Board, the hospital comprised 423 beds and 114 at the Cedars. Following the opening of the University Hospital, the Queen's Medical Centre, in 1977, many services were transferred there from the General. The reduction of services continued throughout the 1980s and in 1992 the General Hospital finally, closed, with its functions moving either to the University Hospital or to the City Hospital.|
During the First World War, 'Terraced Huts' were erected in the hospital grounds as temporary wards to house wounded soldiers. They continued to be used into the 1930s.
|Custodial History||The photograph was donated to the Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections in 1992 by a private individual, whose aunt was a nurse working in the Terraced Huts in 1917.|
|Description||The collection comprises one black and white photograph showing a group of six nurses, three other female adults, and seven children, sitting or standing behind a table laid with cutlery and Christmas crackers, and in front of a large decorated Christmas tree. Beds, in which patients are lying, can just be seen to the sides of the photograph.|
An endorsement indicates that one of the nurses (not identified) was Nurse Arabella Stuart, and that the photograph was possibly taken in 1917.