|Admin History||Nottingham General Hospital was founded as a charitable institution by public subscription in 1782. At the formation of the National Health Service in 1948 and the take over of the hospital by the Sheffield Regional Board, the hospital comprised 423 beds and 114 at the Cedars. Following the opening of the University Hospital, the Queen's Medical Centre, in 1977, many services were transferred there from the General. The reduction of services continued throughout the 1980s and in 1992 the General Hospital finally, closed, with its functions moving either to the University Hospital or to the City Hospital.|
|Custodial History||The photographs were given to the Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections by a private individual in 1992.|
|Description||The collection comprises two photographs.|
Group photograph of staff at Nottingham General Hospital, 1916. Formal panoramic photograph showing 103 uniformed nurses (some in Red Cross uniforms), 2 men and one boy, seated or standing in three rows (MS 363/1);
Mounted photograph showing two gentlemen [identified by the donor as Mr Neil [surgeon] and Mr Dawson [member of the House Committee], at the official opening of the Covered Way on the Nottingham General Hospital site, 1924] (MS 363/2).