|Admin History||Nottingham General Hospital was founded as a charitable institution by public subscription in 1782. At the formation of the National Health Service in 1948 and the take over of the hospital by the Sheffield Regional Board, the hospital comprised 423 beds and 114 at the Cedars. Following the opening of the University Hospital, the Queen's Medical Centre, in 1977, many services were transferred there from the General. The reduction of services continued throughout the 1980s and in 1992 the General Hospital finally, closed, with its functions moving either to the University Hospital or to the City Hospital.|
The main operating theatre was remodelled by Sir Thomas Shipstone and named after him in 1932.
|Custodial History||The original prints were lent to the Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections for copying in 1992.|
|Description||The collection comprises two black and white prints of original photographs. According to endorsements on the original photographs, they were taken by Spencer, Higson and Co., Technical Photographers and Illustrators, 1 Shakespeare Street, Nottingham:|
Photograph of the interior of the Shipstone Operating Theatre, looking towards the large bay window with glazed roof (MS 362/1);
Photograph of the interior of the Shipstone Operating Theatre, looking the other way towards the door (MS 362/2).
Both photographs show the operating theatre, sinks, trolleys and other surgical equipment in the theatre.
The date of these photographs has been estimated by reference to the re-modelling of the theatre in 1932, and the fact that MS 362/1 was published in the hospital's Appeal Brochure Uhg Pr 1/4, p. 13, in 1934.