|Admin History||Nottingham Children's Hospital was founded as a charitable institution in 1869 by public subscription, with the aim of providing 'for the reception, maintenance and medical treatment of children of the poor under ten years of age'. Its official title was the Free Hospital for Sick Children but it was also known as 'St Lucy's', as the first nursing staff were recruited from the Sisters of St Lucy. Its first home was Russell House, Postern Street, Nottingham, a property presented by the daughter of the architect, T.C. Hine. In 1899, the hospital moved to Forest House, Chestnut Grove,off Mansfield Road, to accommodation given by the lace manufacturer, Thomas Birkin. A new wing was opened by H.R.H. Princess Mary, Viscountess Lascelles, in 1927. In 1978, the Children's Hospital closed and its occupants became the first in-patients of University Hospital, Queen's Medical Centre.|
Miss Alice M. Harby was living at 7 Victoria Embankment, Nottingham, in 1942, and was a member of the Notts 42 Detachment of the British Red Cross Society.
|Custodial History||The booklet was donated to the Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections by Miss Harby in 1992.|