|Admin History||The Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Book Society was founded in 1828 with the intention of establishing a medical lending library. It is believed to be the second oldest medical society in the country. It appears to have amalgamated with the Nottingham Medical Book Society in around 1846, taking the new name of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society. |
In the nineteenth century, it met at Nottingham General Hospital and the General Dispensary. From 1910 to 1972, the society occupied premises at 64, St. James Street, Nottingham. The society is still in existence and has an active programme. Its thousand members are drawn from general practice, academia, industrial medicine and the community. The society was established as a registered charity by trust deed in 1977.
|Custodial History||The Society's Library was actively maintained until the early twentieth century, but the bulk of it came to be only of historical interest, fell into neglect and was practically lost in 1911 when the society moved to new premises. The core collection now in the University, nearly 1000 volumes, was acquired by purchase in 1971 with the assistance of a gift by Mrs. Miriam Kaplowitch OBE. Another considerable part of the collection was discovered and rejoined the collection in 1973. The volumes remained physically in the University's Medical Library until 1994 when they were transferred to the Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections.|