|Admin History||John Lawson (1878-1969) was born in Yorkshire and grew up in Leeds. He was apprenticed to a chemist at the age of 16 and studied for his examinations at night school. He attended the School of Pharmacy in London from 1899-1901 where he was awarded the Pereira Medal for Materia Medica. After leaving the School, Lawson worked for Bostock and Sons in Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester and Hayes Cuningham and Robinson, Dublin. He then joined the Daisy Company Limited in Leeds, the manufacturers of a headache cure. The company enjoyed considerable success during his period with them.|
He joined the Proprietary Articles Section of the London Chamber of Commerce in 1908 and was voted onto its committee in 1914 after his evidence to a House of Commons Select Committee on Patent Medicines. In October 1915 Lawson was taken on as a manager by Sir Jesse Boot and enjoyed a long and distinguished career with Boots Pure Drug Company Limited.
Lawson had a long association with the Methodist Church, and was also active in local civic affairs, serving as a local councillor for West Bridgford.
|Custodial History||The papers were given to the University Library in 1984.|
|Description||The collection spans the whole of Lawson's life including his education, his career with various pharmaceutical companies and his involvement with the Methodist church. A number of notebooks date from Lawson's time as an apprentice, while other papers and textbooks stem from his period at the London School of Pharmacy. His earliest professional notes date from his employment with Hayes Cunningham and Robinson, Dublin pharmacists. The Daisy Co., Leeds and Boots Pure Drug Company, Nottingham feature prominently, with material covering sales and company policy, formula blueprints, staff magazines and official correspondence.|
A series of papers concerning his active role as a member of Ruddington Methodist Church includes documents about the Samuel Carter Trust, for which he was treasurer. A small bundle of correspondence and newsprint cuttings concern local affairs, particularly during the period (c. 1930-1942) when he represented Musters Ward on West Bridgford Urban District Council.
The collection includes books and printed material on pharmaceutical subjects, together with a quantity of advertising literature and related papers.
A series of theatre programmes and related papers from the Nottingham Playhouse (1955-83) reflect the interest of his son, Hugh Lawson, in local theatre.
|FindingAids||Copyright in all Finding Aids belongs to the University of Nottingham.
In the Reading Room, King's Meadow Campus:
Typescript Catalogue, 33 pp
At the National Register of Archives, The National Archives, Kew:
Typescript Catalogue, 15 pp
Catalogue accessible from the website for Manuscripts and Special Collections, Manuscripts Online Catalogue.|