|Admin History||Coventry Patmore (1823-1896) began writing at an early age and his first poems were published in 1844.|
In 1847 Patmore married Emily Andrews (1824-1862) who bore him six children. In 1864 he became a Roman Catholic, and in the same year married his second wife, Mary Byles (1822-1880). He began his friendship with the architect Basil Champneys, who subsequently edited Patmore's 'Memoirs and Correspondence' (1900). In 1865 Patmore resigned his post in the printed book department at the British Museum and bought the Heron's Ghyll estate in Sussex. From 1878 onwards he wrote little poetry, concentrating instead on prose.
Patmore's second wife died in 1880, and the following year he married Harriet Robson by whom he had a son, Francis. Patmore sold Heron's Ghyll and moved to The Lodge in Lymington, Hampshire where he spent his final years. His last book, 'The Rod, the Root and the Flower' appeared in 1895.
This Collection of over 100 printed volumes by and about the poet Coventry Patmore (1823-1896) was formed, mainly during the 1930s, by R. M. Hewitt, Professor of English at University College Nottingham, and Frederick Page, editor of Notes and Queries. Hewitt was influential in the creation of the English section of the University Library. He was an accomplished linguist and was particularly admired for his translations of poetry, notably from Russian. His great literary interest was Coventry Patmore and, with his friend Frederick Page, he was responsible for building up the Department's complementary manuscript collection (Pt). Hewitt retired in 1938. He was given an Honorary Readership in Comparative Literature and retained a strong connection with the University's activities until his death in 1948.
|Custodial History||Patmore holdings, both published and manuscript, are added to as opportunity allows. |