|Admin History||The Boston and District Electric Supply Company Limited (or Besco as it was known) was registered in May 1923 as a public company with authorised capital of £170,000 in one pound shares. The offices of the company were in Dolphin Lane, Boston, Lincolnshire. Besco supplied electricity to homes and street lights in Boston; the main street of the town was lit electrically for the first time in August 1924. Supply extended out of Boston for the first time in 1926 to the nearby village of Kirton. By 1948, the company was supplying to 10,600 consumers and covered 276 miles with power lines. The company was nationalised in 1948 and its activities were taken over by the East Midlands Electricity Board.|
|Custodial History||The collection was given to The University of Nottingham's Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections in April 2000 by PowerGen.|
|Description||The collection comprises:|
Memorandum and articles of association, 1923 (BEB 1).
Signed directors' minute books, 1923-1948 (BEB 2).
General meeting minute book, 1923-1948 (BEB 3).
Registers of directors, 1923-1948 (BEB 4).
Seal book, 1933-1947 (BEB 5).
File of papers maintained for the purposes of Companies Acts including a certificate of incorporation, 1923-1924 (BEB 6).
Share transfer forms, 1928-1946 (BEB 7).