Document ReferenceCAA/So/1
TitlePapers relating to the Stanwell Players drama group; 1946-2001
Date Of Creation1946-2001
Extent393 items
LevelSubSeries
Content DescriptionThe Stanwell Players were formed at St Ann's Well Road Congregational Church in July 1946, and performed their first play, 'Little Ladyship', in January 1947. Profits raised by admission to the Players' performances were donated to charitable causes, initially the London Missionary Society. The group mostly performed secular plays, often comedies or murder mysteries, and also provided variety performances for church Bazaars. They occasionally produced religious shows to support church functions or services.

When St Ann's Well Road Congregational Church closed in 1970, the Stanwell Players moved to Castle Gate Congregational Church. In 1975 Castle Gate merged with St Andrew's to form St Andrew's-with-Castle Gate United Reformed Church. The Stanwell Players continued at St Andrew's-with-Castle Gate until the group closed in 1991. A new drama group, the Goldsmith Players, was formed in 1998.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017