Document ReferenceOPL
TitleOakham Parish Library
Date Of Creation15th-20th century
Extentc.150 items
LevelFonds
Access ConditionsAccessible to all readers
Admin HistoryThe original part of the Library of Oakham Parish Church was bequeathed to the church in 1616 by Lady Anne Harington of Exton. It was subsequently added to by the church. The surviving Collection, as transferred to the University Library in 1980, numbers around 150 volumes.
The Collection is closed, and no works will be added to it.
Custodial HistoryThe library was deposited with the University Library in 1980. The transfer was made after the granting of a Faculty by the Chancellor of the Diocese of Peterborough.
DescriptionAbout seventy items probably date back to the Harington bequest. They are almost all in Latin and printed in Continental Europe in the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries. The subject matter of these, and most of the collection, is very largely theology, church history and canon law.
MgtGroupLibraries of other institutions
Printed Book Collections
ArrangementThe collection is arranged by Library of Congress classification
LanguageLatin
English
Greek
TermChurch libraries-England-Oakham
FindingAidsThe collection is catalogued on the University of Nottingham Library Online Catalogue http://aleph.nottingham.ac.uk/ALEPH (UNLOC) </a>. To browse these records, on the Basic Search screen, select 'Special collection' in the Field to Search drop-down menu and enter the search term OPL (the code for Oakham Parish Library). There is also a typescript catalogue created by Anne Herbert in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Arts in Librarianship at the University of Sheffield, which is kept in the Reading Room.
ReprodnNoteReprographic copies can be supplied for educational and private study purposes only, depending on access status and the condition of the documents.
ConditionSome items are fragile, particularly the bindings, many of which are original
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017