Document ReferenceNLM
TitleMinute books of the Nottingham Auxiliary of the London Missionary Society, the Presbytery of Nottingham, and the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union, 1894-1972
Date Of Creation1894-1972
Extent1 box containing 6 volumes, and 3 files
AbstractThe collection contains records of the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union, Northern Division, the Presbytery of Nottingham, and the Nottingham Auxiliary of the London Missionary Society.
LevelFonds
Access ConditionsAccessible to all readers.
Admin HistoryThe Presbyterian Church of England and the Congregational Church in England and Wales merged in 1972 to form the United Reformed Church. The two churches each had tiers of regional organisation. In the East Midlands, the Presbyterian churches were arranged into the Presbytery of Nottingham, while the Congregational Churches were arranged into divisions of the Congregational Union. These organisations were dissolved in 1972 under the provisions of the United Reformed Church Act.

The London Missionary Society was founded by the leaders of the Independent, Anglican and Presbyterian Churches in 1795 (although its name was first used in 1818). The society's missionaries promoted Christianity to communities in Africa, Asia and the South Pacific. The Congregational Church provided the vast majority of missionaries and financial support for the Society's activities. In 1966, the London Missionary Society combined with the Commonwealth Missionary Society to form the Congregational Council for World Mission. It was inaugurated as the Council for World Mission in 1977. The London Missionary Society was supported by hundreds of Congregational churches arranged into auxiliaries that were set up in towns and cities.

The Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Auxiliary (as it was first known) was probably set up in 1894. Meetings were held at the Castle Gate Congregational church or lecture hall in Nottingham. Its function, as stated in 1951, was 'to stimulate interest in the work of the L.M.S. in the churches within the Auxiliary, to arrange central events for this purpose, and to be the governing body in the business affairs of the Auxiliary'. Amongst its many prayer and business meetings, the auxiliary held an anniversary meeting each year. The auxiliary brought together the clergy, congregations, and representatives of Sunday Schools, youth groups, women's groups and prayer unions from most of the town's Congregational churches.

The auxiliary was later renamed the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union County Missionary Sub-Committee and the Overseas Committee of the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union. Following the merger in 1972 of the English Presbyterian and the Congregational Churches to form the United Reformed Church, local missionary work was organised by a sub-committee of the URC District Church Council.
Custodial HistoryThe collection was acquired by the University of Nottingham's Department of Manuscripts in January 1985.
DescriptionThe collection consists primarily of volumes of minutes. Three of the volumes concern the regional administration of the Congregational and Presbyterian churches prior to the formation of the United Reformed Church. The remainder concern the Nottingham Auxiliary of the London Missionary Society and its successors:

Minutes of the Presbytery of Nottingham, 1944-1972 (NLM/1);

Minutes of the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union, Northern Division (concerning churches in Mansfield, Retford, Selston, Sutton, Westwood, Worksop and Shirebrook), 1961-1972 (NLM/2);

Minutes of the Nottingham Auxiliary of the London Missionary Society and its successors, including programmes for its anniversary meetings, 1894-1972 (NLM/3);

Trusts and Investments book, probably of the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union, Northern Division, 1948-1969 (NLM/4);

Correspondence of the general secretary of the Auxiliary concerning a memorial plaque to David Livingstone, the missionary and explorer, at Newstead Abbey, Nottinghamshire, 1949-1950 (NLM 5).
MgtGroupReligious records
Religious records
MgtSubGroupCongregational
English Presbyterian
ArrangementThe collection has been divided by document type into series. Within these series, items have been arranged chronologically.
LanguageEnglish
TermMissions - England - Nottinghamshire
Congregationalism - England - Nottinghamshire
FindingAidsThis description is the only finding aid available for the collection. Copyright on the description belongs to The University of Nottingham.
ReprodnNoteReprographic copies can be supplied for educational use and private study purposes only, depending on access status and the condition of the documents.
ConditionGood.
Related MaterialCentral records of the London Missionary Society are held within The Council for World Mission archive at the library of the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London.
Derbyshire Record Office holds minutes of the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union, 1931-1948 (D4937/8)
Nottinghamshire Archives hold various archival records of the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union, 1913-1995; and also minutes of the Presbytery of Nottingham, 1919-1929, 1929-1937 and 1937-1972 (NC/IR16/1-4)
Minutes of the Nottinghamshire Congregational Union, 1871-1968 (CU/M 3); yearbooks, 1870-1951 and 1950-1963 (CU/V 2/1-14); and scrapbook, 1870-1920 (CU/S 2)
Nottinghamshire Congregational Union newsletters, mid-20th century (Fy P 4/2)
Related RecordCU/M/3
CU/V/2
CU/S/2
Fy/P/4/2

Click the links below to view related name indexes

Click the links below to view related place indexes

Persons
CodePersonNameDates of Existence
NA999London Missionary Society; Nottingham auxiliary
NA1000Presbyterian Church of England; Nottingham presbytery
NA1001Nottinghamshire Congregational Union; Northern division
NA1000Presbyterian Church of England; Nottingham presbytery
NA999London Missionary Society; Nottingham auxiliary
NA1001Nottinghamshire Congregational Union; Northern division
Places
CodePlace name
PL3/Nottinghamshire/England
PL3/Nottinghamshire/England
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017