Document ReferenceMS 111
TitlePhotographs of Middleton Hall, Warwickshire; 1892 and 1908
Date Of Creation1892-1908
Extent4 photographs
AbstractPhotographic copies of photographs of the north and west ranges of Middleton Hall, Warwickshire, originally taken in 1892 and 1908.
LevelFonds
Access ConditionsAccessible to all readers.
Admin HistoryMiddleton in Warwickshire was acquired by the Willoughby family of Wollaton in Nottinghamshire in around 1435 through the marriage of Sir Hugh Willoughby (d 1448) to Margaret de Freville. It was the favoured residence of Francis Willoughby II (1588-1665) and his son Francis Willughby the naturalist (1635-1672). It has a medieval and Tudor core, including a sixteenth century Great Hall, with a large west wing added in the Georgian period. The Hall was sold by Lord Middleton in 1925 to John Averill. During the twentieth century it became dilapidated. Since 1980, the Hall has been restored and re-opened to the public for tours, exhibitions, weddings and functions, by the Middleton Hall Trust.
Custodial HistoryThe photographs were given to the Department of Manuscripts at the University of Nottingham in July 1960.
DescriptionThe collection comprises:

Photographic reproduction of a black and white photograph of Middleton Hall near Tamworth, Warwickshire, taken in 1892. The photograph is taken from the south-west and shows the 11-bayed Georgian west wing with hipped roof, and the lower south range. The hall is seen from the other side of a ha-ha. The photograph is labelled 'Middleton Hall (Mr De Hamel), Warwickshire'. (MS 111/1)

Photographic reproduction of a black and white photograph of Middleton Hall, taken in 1908 by J. Benjamin Stone. Shows the north side of the hall, consisting of a range of two-storey buildings built at different times but joined together and faced with plaster. To the left is a low medieval building with overhanging upper storey, and to the right is the north end of the Georgian west wing. In between is a Georgian entrance building, and the hipped roof of the Great Hall can be seen behind. The range is seen from the other side of a gravel sweep. The photograph is labelled 'Middleton Hall, Tamworth. Residence of Edgar de Hamel Esq.' (MS 111/2)

The collection also includes a further copy of each of the two photographs (MS 111/3-4).
MgtGroupPhotographs
ArrangementNo archival arrangement has been necessary
LanguageEnglish
TermBuildings - Photographs
Buildings - Warwickshire - Middleton
FindingAidsThis description is the only finding aid available for the collection. Copyright on the description belongs to the University of Nottingham.
ReprodnNoteReprographic copies can be supplied for educational and private study purposes only, depending on access status and the condition of the documents.
ConditionGood
Related MaterialThe University of Nottingham; Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections: The Family and Estate Papers of the Willoughby Family, Lords Middleton, of Wollaton, Nottinghamshire, Middleton, Warwickshire and Birdsall, Yorkshire; c.1150-c.1986 (Reference: Mi)
The University of Nottingham; Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections: Ground floor survey of Middleton Hall, Warwickshire, 1985 (Reference: MS 434)
Related RecordMi
MS434

Click the links below to view related name indexes

Click the links below to view related place indexes

Persons
CodePersonNameDates of Existence
NA75938Willoughby; family; of Wollaton, Nottinghamshire; Lords Middleton
Places
CodePlace name
PL92059/Middleton/Warwickshire/England
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017