Document ReferenceMCS
TitleNottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society Library
Date Of Creation1538-1949
ExtentNearly 1000 items
LevelFonds
Access ConditionsAccessible to all readers
Admin HistoryThe Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Book Society was founded in 1828 with the intention of establishing a medical lending library. It is believed to be the second oldest medical society in the country. It appears to have amalgamated with the Nottingham Medical Book Society in around 1846, taking the new name of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society.

In the nineteenth century, it met at Nottingham General Hospital and the General Dispensary. From 1910 to 1972, the society occupied premises at 64, St. James Street, Nottingham. The society is still in existence and has an active programme. Its thousand members are drawn from general practice, academia, industrial medicine and the community. The society was established as a registered charity by trust deed in 1977.
Custodial HistoryThe Society's Library was actively maintained until the early twentieth century, but the bulk of it came to be only of historical interest, fell into neglect and was practically lost in 1911 when the society moved to new premises. The core collection now in the University, nearly 1000 volumes, was acquired by purchase in 1971 with the assistance of a gift by Mrs. Miriam Kaplowitch OBE. Another considerable part of the collection was discovered and rejoined the collection in 1973. The volumes remained physically in the University's Medical Library until 1994 when they were transferred to the Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections.
DescriptionThe Collection consists of medical treatises from the 16th to the 19th centuries. Many of the titles were published between 1800 and 1860; but more than half of the Collection is pre-1851.
MgtGroupScientific, research and educational records
Health records
Libraries of other institutions
Printed Book Collections
ArrangementThe collection is arranged by Library of Congress classification
LanguageEnglish
TermMedical libraries - England - Nottingham
Medicine - Societies
FindingAidsThe process of converting the catalogue for electronic access has begun, and some records for the Collection can be accessed via the University of Nottingham Library Online Catalogue (UNLOC): http://aleph.nottingham.ac.uk/ALEPH. To browse the Collection, on the Basic Search screen, select 'Special Collection' in the Field to Search drop-down menu and enter the search term MCS (the code for Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society Library). A printed catalogue (author and subject) completed in 1888 is kept with the Collection.
ReprodnNoteReprographic copies can be supplied for educational and private study purposes only, depending on access status and the condition of the documents.
ConditionVariable. Many items are in good condition, but a significant proportion has previously suffered from damp and is very fragile
Related MaterialRecords of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society, a medical society, 1828-1996 (MCH)
Related RecordMCH

Click the links below to view related name indexes

Persons
CodePersonNameDates of Existence
NA435Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Book Society
NA438Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017