Document ReferenceMCH
TitleRecords of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society, a medical society, 1828-1996
Date Of Creation1828-1996
Extent16 boxes
AbstractThe collection contains administrative records of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society. The collection includes: minutes of meetings, reports, papers relating to the society's medical library and social club; and printed work and research papers relating to the history of the society.
LevelFonds
Access ConditionsPending full cataloguing, access to the collection is limited and is only possible after advance notice and agreement.
Admin HistoryThe Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Book Society was founded in 1828 with the intention of establishing a medical lending library. It is believed to be the second oldest medical society in the country. It appears to have amalgamated with the Nottingham Medical Book Society in around 1846, taking the new name of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society.

In the nineteenth century, it met at Nottingham General Hospital and the General Dispensary. From 1910 to 1972, the society occupied premises at 64, St. James Street, Nottingham. The society is still in existence and has an active programme. Its thousand members are drawn from general practice, academia, industrial medicine and the community. The society was established as a registered charity by trust deed in 1977.

The Society's Library was actively maintained until the early twentieth century, but the bulk of it came to be only of historical interest, fell into neglect and was practically lost in 1911 when the society moved to new premises. The core Collection now in the University, some 1160 volumes, was acquired by purchase in 1971 with the assistance of a gift by Mrs. Miriam Kaplowitch OBE. Another considerable part of the collection was discovered and rejoined the Collection in 1973. The volumes remained physically in the University's Medical Library until 1994 when they were transferred to the Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections.
Custodial HistoryManuscript items from the Society were acquired by The University of Nottingham's Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections on a number of separate occasions between 1996 and 2006. Uncatalogued accruals acquired after this date include the papers of former President and Trustee Dr Peter Toghill and a series of printed programmes for the Society's Meetings and events.
DescriptionMinute books including minutes of annual general meetings and council meetings. 1851-1996 (MCH 1);

Printed reports. 1945/46-1992/1993 (MCH 2);

Printed rules for the society. 1846-1993 (MCH 3);

Registers of members and attendance at meetings. 1952-1979 (MCH 4);

Administrative records. c. 1945-c.1995 (MCH 5);

Records relating to the administration of the society's library comprising: manuscript and printed catalogues, 1828-1955 (MCH 6/1); suggestion books for the society's library and Lewis's library giving the names of titles proposed by members, 1885-1910 (MCH 6/2); transcription of the library's 1836-1878 suggestion book and 1828-1831 catalogue, 1971 (MCH 6/3); issue books for the Society's library recording loans of particular books to members, 1832-1964 (MCH 6/4); signing-in book for the library, 1903-1907 (MCH 6/5); assorted printed signs and leaflets that would have been displayed, produced or received by the Society and its library including sets of library rules and agenda for Society meetings, 1888-1950 (MCH 6/6); and a volume recording books from Lewis's library requested by members, 1910-1948 (MCH 6/7).

Printed works and research papers relating to the society's history; including a proof copy of the 150th anniversary history and copies of photographs used in that publication. This series also contains two published works that do not relate to the society. They are a bicentenary history of Aberdeen Medico-Chirurgical Society and an autobiography of R.G. Hogarth about his time at Nottingham General Hospital. 1928-1989 (MCH 7);

Photographic negatives of former presidents of the society, the old General Hospital and its staff and associated hospitals, undated (MCH 8);

Address book of members of the society. c.1920s (MCH 9).

Printed letter, with envelope, from Ethel Saxton, informing the Society of the death of her father and her continued management of his Bookseller and Stationery business on King Street, Nottingham. 1927 (MCH 10).
MgtGroupScientific, research and educational records
Health records
MgtSubGroupScientific associations
ArrangementThe collection has been divided into 10 series. Within these series, items have been arranged chronologically where possible.
LanguageEnglish
TermMedical libraries - England - Nottingham
Medicine - Societies
FindingAidsThis description is the only finding aid available for this collection. Copyright in the description belongs to The University of Nottingham.
ReprodnNoteReprographic copies can be supplied for educational use and private study purposes only, depending on access status and the condition of the documents.
ConditionGood
Related MaterialThe University of Nottingham; Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections: Printed medical treatises collected by the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society, 16th-19th centuries. Books in the collection are recorded on the university's library catalogue, UNLOC (http://aleph.nottingham.ac.uk/ALEPH).
Miscellaneous records of medical interest, 1792-c.1948 (Reference: MS 714)
Related RecordMS714
MCS

Click the links below to view related name indexes

Click the links below to view related place indexes

Persons
CodePersonNameDates of Existence
NA435Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Book Society
NA436Paul Swift; medical historian
NA437Gilbert, Geoffrey; photographer
NA435Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Book Society
NA438Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society
NA77938Saxton; Ethel (fl 1927); daughter of Henry B. Saxton; bookseller and stationer, of Nottinghamfl 1927
Places
CodePlace name
PL1/Nottingham/Nottinghamshire/England
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017