Document ReferenceDe 2 P
TitleArchitectural plans in the Denison collection; 1775-1825
Date Of Creation1775-1825
Extent196 items
LevelSubFonds
Content DescriptionThis group consists primarily of a number of architectural plans. The plans belong to the late 18th and early 19th centuries when attempts were made, first by William Denison, then by Robert Denison to extend and improve their family estate at Ossington.

The collection includes John Carr's designs for a temple, church and mausoleum at Ossington drawn up during the early 1780s and the plans made in 1786 by Sir John Soane for the entrance lodges, a prospect building and a temple. However, by far the greatest number of plans in the collection are the work of William Lindley who began submitting designs to John Denison in the late 1780s and continued to do so virtually until his (Lindley's) death in 1818. Lindley's designs include plans for building new wings on to the hall, remodelling existing rooms, building a coach house and stables and building or improving a large number of various houses, cottages, lodges and farms upon the estate and also for improving the grounds themselves. Also included in the collection are letters relating to the improvement of Ossington and miscellaneous items such as John Nash's plans to build a new street in London.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017